Join Emmy Award winning television host and naturalist Patrick McMillan for an unforgettable adventure on Lake Jocassee. Patrick, Brooks and Kay will guide you and your family on a tour of the features that make the gorges region a biological hotspot and provide the microhabitats that have made the Southern Blue Ridge Escarpment Ecoregion a crucible of life for millenia. Abundant moisture, deep gorges, and rapid elevation change are part of the equation that has allowed tropical ferns to flourish beneath a canopy of trees that are also found in New England and eastern Canada! Few people ever get the chance to see these rare ferns and plants that make their home here and nowhere else in North America but you will on this expedition. Towering majestic waterfalls, birdlife, incredible scenery and of course the abundance of wildflowers are woven together by the experience and artful storytelling of Dr. McMillan. We hope you'll join us for a look deep into these ancient hills.
FIRST SUNDAY EXPEDITONS
Time: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm / Nov-March
Time: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm / April - Oct
Price: $80 per person
- Life jackets (if your child has a favorite, bring it along!)
- JLT will be serving hot beverages on cold days
- Bottled water
- Lap blankets available
SUGGESTED TO BRING
- Small cooler of what ever food or drinks you would like (Adult beverages are allowed)
- Rain jacket or windbreaker
- Sunglasses, hat, gloves, scarves, etc...
- Lap blanket
- Camera, binoculars
WHAT TO WEAR
- Comfortable shoes
- Watershoes in warm weather (flip flops are not watershoes)
- October - April: please dress in warm layers with heavy jackets in Winter.
WHERE TO PARK
NOVEMBER 1 - APRIL 30: Devils Fork State Park, 538 Jocassee Lake Rd, Salem, SC 29676 (click here for directions)
MAY 1 - OCTOBER 31: Monday - Thursday, Devils Fork State Park, 538 Jocassee Lake Rd, Salem SC 29676
Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Holidays: Jocassee Lake Tours parking area (click here for directions)
CANCELLATION POLICY: Please review